A lighter sweet and sour sauce drenches pineapple, sweet bell peppers, onion, and sweet potatoes. This stir fry is served on top of brown rice making it a protein packed and healthy vegetarian meal.
So this meal started out as a soup… Doesn’t look very soupy does it?
Here I was shivering cold just thinking about the -11 degree weather outside. Yeah, just thinking about the cold makes me cold. Anyways, I was determined to make some warm soup. Scratch that. Burning hot soup was on the menu.
So I started with some sweet potatoes. Because that is always a great place to start. Sweet potatoes make everything taste great in my book. And it’s just an added bonus that they are packed with great nutrients. I love when that happens.
I was elbow deep in all sorts of ingredients before I realized this dish wasn’t looking very soupy. Not very soupy at all.
Chopped onions were sizzling, sweet peppers being sliced, a fresh pineapple was being chopped, and brown rice was cooking. But there was no cream base or broth to be found. And when everything was added into one sizzling pot, a soup just wasn’t the right thing to put all these yummy vegetables (and fruit!) in.
Besides, who puts pineapple in soup? Don’t answer that. Because I don’t think that is a recipe I ever want to try…
No offense. Just fruit and soup doesn’t sound like my thing. Not even a little.
And so I gave up with the soup idea, served up a plate of this stir fry (and some hot chocolate) and it was one of the happiest moments of my day. Because this sweet and sour stir fry is fantastically flavorful, jam-packed with some of my favorite veggies and fruit, and it’s healthy to boot. My kind of winter comfort food all the way!
- 2 cups brown rice (or sub white rice)
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp, minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 and 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled chopped (4 very small potatoes)
- 10 mini sweet bell peppers*, julienned
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp. brown sugar (more or less to taste preference)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Prepare 2 cups of brown rice according to the package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, combine 3 tbsp. olive oil with garlic over a large saucepan on medium heat.
- Add in the peeled and chopped sweet potatoes. Cook over medium heat and stir often so the sweet potato pieces don’t burn.
- While cooking and stirring the sweet potato, julienne the sweet bell peppers, chop the onion, and chop up a fresh pineapple.
- Once the sweet potato is pretty tender, add in the onion and sweet bell peppers. Continue to stir until tender.
- Turn the heat to low and add in the pineapple.
- In another small pot, combine the ketchup, rice vinegar, and brown sugar. Stir until completely combined over medium-low heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch and stir until completely combined.
- Slowly add the lemon juice and cornstarch mixture to the rest of the sauce and stir the sauce until thickened.
- Combine the sauce with the vegetable mixture and stir until combined.
- Serve the vegetable mixture over brown rice and enjoy immediately.
If you are unfamiliar with what julienne means, here’s an explanation: Julienne
If you liked this dish, you should try: